Averasboro Battlefield Commission, Inc. (ABCI) is governed by a Board of Directors and is a non-profit tax-exempt 501(c)3 corporation. ABCI was formed in 1994 and incorporated in 1995 to lead in the preservation, presentation, and promotion of the Averasboro Battlefield, Smithville Plantation, and related history. Since that time, in addition to conducting tours and promoting the site, the Commission has accomplished the following:
• Restored the Chicora Civil War Cemetery by the authentic reconstruction of the period on-site cabin, replacement of missing gravestones, and acquisition and construction of a parking lot.
• Established a visitors' center and museum open on a daily basis.
• Continues to sponsor and coordinate annual living history and battle reenactment events.
• Maintains a 24-acre tract on the Confederate First Defensive Line for preservation and interpretive display.
• Obtained National Register Historic District status at the battlefield.
• Is a part of the North Carolina Civil War Trails Program.