(Photo by Dave Roth, Blue & Gray Magazine, Columbus, Ohio - Historical Information by Gene Smith)
Lebanon, the first Harnett County property named to the National Register of Historic Places, was given to Farquhard Campbell Smith, son of John and Isabella Smith of Oak Grove, by his father in 1824 as a wedding gift. The house (an early example of Greek Revival architecture) and a gift of 3,612 acres were the first documented division of John's vast plantation, which included land on both sides of the Cape Fear River, a ferry at its confluence with the Lower Little River, and an impoundment on Black River known today as Rhodes Pond. Possession was immediate and Farquhard paid property tax on his acquisitions although no deed was transferred until the youngest of John's sons, Dr. James Campbell Smith of Fayetteville, died in 1843. At that point "Ferry John," then seventy and a widower, formalized the division of his North Carolina real estate among his three surviving sons. Lebanon, named for its many cedars, was home to Jane Smith, youngest of six daughters and second-youngest of fifteen children of Farquhard and Sally Smith, who lived to adulthood. It was in this house that Jane lit a lamp and penned a letter describing her extended family's ordeal as Confederate forces under Lieutenant Gen. William J. Hardee maneuvered to parry Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman's saber-cut across the belly of the plantation South near the end of the Civil War. The house was used as a field hospital during the Battle of Averasboro and for a short time thereafter. The Smith family has owned and occupied Lebanon since its construction.